Rotaract & Mission RACE
Since the time of inception we at IIEBM always believed in giving back to society, nation and environment in some way or the other. We were associated with SOS villages, Concern India Foundation (CIF), CRY and many more social and charitable organizations.
We also encouraged and involved our students in different activities we did for instance teaching children English in rural schools, assisting in the flood affected areas of Bihar and Odisha by establishing food distribution centers, organizing blood donation camps, distributing food packets to nearby Slum Dwellers, assisting Traffic Police as traffic wardens etc.
I was inducted into the Rotary family in the year 2005 where our Club – The Rotary Club of Khadki, Pune had been undertaking and executing a lot of social and environmental projects like providing water purification systems to people in the Pilpelgaon Jodha region, providing better sanitation facilities to the people in rural areas, providing aid to the physically disabled children, launching a Skin Bank Project to save the lives of people who die from skin burns etc, to name a few.
After my first year at Rotary, I was appointed Director – Youth, where one of the agendas under my scope of activities was to establish a Rotaract Club. This made me think that if all students from IIEBM got an opportunity to become part of Rotaract, they would be able to reach out to the underprivileged sections of the society in a better and much more structured manner.
At the same time, during regular Guest Lectures which are organized at the institute, we had invited Rotarian Ashok Malhotra for a talk to our students. He also is the father of late Capt. Rishi Malhotra, who had made a supreme sacrifice for our country by laying down his life during the Kargil operation. Capt. Rishi Malhotra was awarded the Param Veer Chakra (Posthumous) – the highest gallantry award in the Indian Army, by the President of India.
During the address of Rotarian Ashok Malhotra, he made a mention about his son who had declined an opportunity to do his further studies in XLRI and instead opted to join the Indian Army to serve the motherland. What struck me while he was mentioning about his son was how his son had developed leadership qualities in his younger days when he was part of Rotaract.
Hearing him talk about his son as well as keeping our institutional aim of giving back to society, I decided to establish the Institution based Rotaract Club at IIEBM and make all students part of Rotaract.
Since then, there has been no looking back. Our students have been actively doing a number of projects, thus contributing towards the society along with pursuing their Management Studies at IIEBM.
I firmly feel that the youth must be a part of Rotaract and give back to the society and the nation in some way or the other.
Rtn. DR. JAI SINGH
Rotaract is one of Rotary International’s nine structured programs designed to help clubs and districts achieve their service goals in their own communities and in communities abroad, fostering fellowship and goodwill in the process.
Rotaract is a service club for young professionals and students in the age group 18-30, sponsored by local Rotary Club. Rotaract clubs provide young people with opportunities to foster leadership, responsible citizenship and promote international peace and understanding.
Rotaractors and Rotarians are partners in service. Rotaractors bring new energy to a Rotary Club, inspire fresh ideas for service, increase support of projects and help develop future Rotarians.
- Develop professional and leadership skills.
- Emphasize respect for the rights of others, based on recognition of the worth of each individual.
- Recognize, practice and promote ethical standards as leadership qualities and vocational responsibilities.
- Develop Knowledge and understanding of the needs, problems and opportunities in the community and worldwide.
- Provide opportunities for personal and group activities to serve the community and promote international understanding and goodwill.
Since the formation of the Institution based Rotaract Club at IIEBM, the Rotaractors have been part of different projects and activities like:
- Organizing Blood Donation camps at the Institute every 6 months.
- Held a Fellowship meet – an interactive session members of Rotary Club of Khadki and Rotaract Club IIEBM.
- Conducted a ‘Drug Abuse Awareness’ presentation at Bilcare Research Academy.
- Participated in a ‘Walk-a-Thon’ organized by Sancheti Institute for Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at Shivajinagar.
- Organized a Thalassemia awareness Seminar.
- Have been regularly celebrating Children’s Day at orphanages and giving gifts to the children.
- Commemoration of 1st Anniversary of Mumbai attacks.
- Participated in the ‘Charity Marathon’ at Sadhu Vaswani Mission.
- Organized a Vocational Training Program on ‘Getting Across’ along with the Rotary Club of Riverside, Pune.
- Participated in a Seminar on ‘Being Responsible Citizens of India’ conducted by Professionals Party of India.
- Successfully completed Mission – RACE – a unique mission to promote awareness of Polio, Skin Bank Project, create awareness among people to be considerate towards the Nation and raise awareness among the youth to join Rotaract.
- Assisted as volunteers in the ‘Retirement Expo’ organized by the Dignity Foundation at Pune.
- Raised funds for an orphanage by selling cards made out of recycled paper.
- Helped as volunteers in the ‘Coastal Cleaning Project’ organized by the Rotary Club of Khadki.
- Participated in the ‘World Polio Day Cycle Rally’ help at Pune.
- Assisted in administering Pulse Polio drops to children in slum areas of Pune. Our Rotaract Club was given a special appreciation letter, by Rotary Club Khadki, as 1600 doses were administered in a single day, the highest record, ever achieved by the club till date.
- Organized Children’s Day celebration at SAMPARC Orphanage and held a drawing competition for the children as well as donated sports equipment (Table Tennis, Carom Board, Basketball Ring and Balls, Volleyball etc) to the orphanage.